Recognizing the Signs of Human Trafficking
The National Human Trafficking Hotline maintains a list of potential red flags and indicators of human trafficking to help you recognize some of the signs of human trafficking.
Common Work and Living Conditions
- Is not free to leave or come and go as he/she wishes
- Is in the commercial sex industry and has a pimp / manager
- Is unpaid, paid very little, or paid only through tips
- Owes a large debt and is unable to pay it off
- Was recruited through false promises concerning the nature and conditions of his/her work
- High security measures exist in the work and/or living locations (e.g. opaque windows, boarded up windows, bars on windows, barbed wire, security cameras, etc.)
Lack of Control
- Has few or no personal possessions
- Is not in control of his/her own money, no financial records, or bank account
- Is not in control of his/her own identification documents (ID or passport)
- Is not allowed or able to speak for themselves (a third party may insist on being present and/or translating)
This is only a partial list, please visit humantraffickinghotline.org for more information. If you believe you are a victim of human trafficking or someone who is, please contact one of the organizations listed on this page.